Saturday, July 2, 2011

ON ANNIVERSARIES

This will be a short one--just don't want to get too far past our anniversary without saying a couple of things about it. So what am I going to say?  Ahem..."Fifty-seven wonderful years have gone by like a song, with never a disagreement; with sweet contentment at every turn in the road, with--" Wait a minute!  I wonder if my nose wouldn't outsrtetch Pinnocchio's!  And it's big enough already.  So start over...

I once heard someone say, "If any two people think identically about everything, one of them is unnecessary!"  However that may be, we soon learned, on our journey together, that we DIDN'T think identically on everything; won't go into detail about it now.  Most of it doesn't matter any more.  But here's what saddens me:  in our culture today, the first few storms are never weathered by so many people.  The ship is abandoned after its first beating by the elements--or in some cases they give it a little longer, but ultimately shipwreck after 15--20 years.  In some cases, this may be inevitable.  But I wll tell you one thing:

I am thankful beyond measure that by God's infinite grace we've come to a place in life where we seem to be
harbored from most of the storms that assail relationships.  When there are difficulties, we've come to a point of facing them together.  Days go by with a mellow feeling; nights are so content in the old double bed whose mattress seems to dip in the middle.  And I can't help thinking that a lot of people could get to this point.  So if anyone's questioning whether it's worth it all, I'll tell you that for us it was and is ABUNDANTLY worth it
ALL!  Talk it over with the Lord before EVER giving up!

No comments:

Post a Comment