Friday, July 1, 2011

Deborah Lapp and the "conspiracy for self-control"

  Today is our 57th wedding anniversary--July 1, 1954 at 8 PM we were married in the First Baptist Church of Aberdeen, Washington .                                                                                                                                                    At the moment, we are watching JUDGE JUDY, which reminds me to comment on my pen name, DEBORAH LAPP.  Deborah in the Old Testament was a judge in Israel.  I have always admired her.  Her husband's name was LAPIDOTH; I believe he did some sort of work in the Temple.  As a freelance writer, I took a course in which I was asked to think about what to use as a pen name if I needed one.  I thought that this rather impressive lady's name was something to live up to; her husband's name furnished the obvious source  for the last name, LAPP. 

Taking a judge's name as a pseudonym, unfortunately, can't be taken to indicate that I think I have good judgement all--or even most--of the time.  Weight management is one of those areas where it's questionable, to say the least!  I've been involved in different programs such as TOPS and been MODERATELY successful--but, since about age 40, not completely so at any time.

Recently, I've been communicating with a couple of good friends from church who've faced the same problem. One of them in particular had some good ideas to offer.  I began thinking:  self-control is a fruit of the Spirit that we'd like to have growing and thriving in our lives.  We're starting to join forces in the endeavor to bring this area (and any other we find needed on the way) under the control of the Holy Spirit.  I'm calling our plan a "conspiracy for self-control."  We'll communicate mainly in cyberspace; probably meet once in awhile--don't know just how it will develop  So this is our plan, nebulous at the moment.  It will probably dominate most (not all) of my blog at this point in tme.  We'll share with you in coming days.

1 comment:

  1. Great job Betty, aka Deborah! Loved reading it. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete